Saturday, January 5, 2013

Whatever you do: DON'T go outside

I was told the following in an email:
"I'm confident that I would not be where I am if I hadn't been raised an active LDS/Christian, and that's not a place I'm willing to risk that my kids go."

What does this statement say about the billions of people of whom this is not true? There are many who find peace, happiness, and harmony in their lives with non-Christian Gods, or even as atheists. Numerically speaking, far more people find peace outside the LDS church, or even outside of Christianity than within. That this mindset is so pervasive in the LDS religion speaks to two things: first, the belief that statistically speaking, chances for happiness are much higher in the church than outside. However, Utah has the highest per capita percentage of depression and is among the highest for suicide. Admittedly, the percentage of LDS is falling in Utah, but it is still the predominant religion, and this statistic is too quickly dismissed by the Mormon church and its members. Secondly, it speaks of the fear that the church ingrains in the minds of its members of the lifestyles, wickedness, and unhappiness that transpire outside of the doors of the church. This fear manifests itself expressly, or it is implied by witness of the profound gratitude that God has found it in His good graces to bestow the value of the Gospel upon the individual. This chosen-people mentality is damaging, and self-serving.

The statement also has a subtle undertone of arrogance, to boot. Because I have questioned the LDS doctrine, I am putting my children's future well-being at risk. You can keep your higher likelihood of depression and suicide. I'm going to teach my kids to deal with their problems through hard work, meditation, exercise, honesty, integrity, and in some cases, acceptance of situations that they can't win.

JB

1 comment:

  1. Well said. I like to study child development, and I see Primary, YM and YW very differently now than I used to.

    ReplyDelete