Thursday, January 31, 2013

You were a better man

A close family member told me that I used to be a better man. My fall from spirituality is attributed to the fact that (among other things) I'm not going to the temple, not home teaching, and not paying tithes. If these are metrics that this family member subconsciously uses to gauge spirituality, then how is it any different than the pharisees that attempted to measure their righteousness? How is this not a case of this person justifying their standing with God by doing things, as opposed to being? Measuring being is so much harder and it is wise to avoid opportunities to judge a person's state of spiritual being.

Not to mention that it was so unkind to make this statement. It isn't inspirational. It is completely guilt motivated. I'm sure that in their eyes, I WAS a better person. But this swings both ways. In my eyes, this person was well-read and intelligent. Now I find that their process of acquiring knowledge has been incredibly one-sided and superficial. How can I trust their mode of reason if they can be so foolishly beguiled into believing one side of a story without thoughtful and prayerful consideration of the entire picture. I would never tell this to anyone for fear of hurting feelings and straining relationships. Please keep your opinions of how I used to be a better man to yourself. I will answer that question for myself in my own introspective search for purpose, happiness, and fulfillment.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment