Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Resigning my membership

This past week, I resigned my name (and the names of my children) from the rolls of the church. I was sent a letter asking me to reconsider and telling me of the grave eternal consequences of my action and that I would be contacted by my bishop or stake president. I am grateful that my bishop is not, nor will be, a mindless tool in Salt Lake's belt to attempt to convince me that this is wrong. He may believe it is wrong, but he knows too many people that are good even without the church to believe it to have eternal consequences.

I'm not turning my back on what I believe is good. I'm not turning my back on morality or principles of compassion and integrity. I'm making changes that represent, to the best of my ability, an attempt at personal healing and closure of the past. I have not been offended by anybody with whom I've associated at a personal level in the church. I have considered everyone I met truly a brother or sister. My grievance is with the general leadership's inability to tell the truth about the past, and their treatment of thinkers, gays, and women. This is a church with serious morality problems at the heart. The limbs and members are healthy, but it is corrupted from within.

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment